The First Star Hotel was built in 1856 for Edward Watson who retained ownership of the building for many years. The present Star Hotel was built in 1888 by the Fiddler Brothers Builders.
The original construction did not include a veranda which was added in 1924 by Jack, Pep and Tom Wain (local builders). Unfortunately this veranda was later removed.
Throughout the years The Star Hotel has undergone many major renovations. The original building consisted of the current bar, pool room, gaming room and kitchen, as well as the upstairs areas. The Bistro area was built in the 70s as the Starlight Room operating as a nightclub for many years before being converted to a Gaming Lounge, then finally becoming the Bistro. The Function room was built in the late 90s and later renovated to become the current Sails Function Room.